Star a Cosmetics & Lipstick Manufacturing Plant
(138).Star a Cosmetics & Lipstick Manufacturing Plant
Lipstick is part of cosmetics, which are requested biotechnology and chemical software together with mechanical engineering hardware. Cosmetic is one of the profitable items for manufacturing and selling, since it is the necessity for the women more than 5 thousand years since ancient Egypt, queen of Patricia, and women of ancient Chinese Tang Dynasty. Since it is one of necessity for women makeup, the profit between manufacturing and sales are quite a big margin. Therefore, the businessmen and capital owner are interesting to enter the cosmetic manufacturing. Upon the shape and applications, cosmetics for lip are including lipstick, lip-balm and lip-pencil etc. that are similar in manufacturing. The differences of process are the mixture and container only. What we will introduce in this proposal are the standard manufacturing procedure, equipment and packaging, which is the typical model for the production line.
Manufacturing process of the lipstick can be defined as front end and back end. The former is processing as chemicals of biotechnology and the later is similar the pharmaceutical. Therefore, the bacteria free concept and cleaning management should be necessity for cosmetic industries. The steps of front-end process are including power, paste and liquid measurement, mixing, grinding, and heating. Normally, cleaning room and bacteria free material and container will be provided. The steps of back-end are including the container cleaning, positioning, filling, molding, releasing, modifying and packaging. Of course, cleaning is also necessary if you will ensure the product stability to keep away from the bacterial contamination.
In order to meet the worldwide multiple market requirement, we can arrange many choices of production line upon the buyer investment amount, among manual, semiautomatic or fully automatic. Of course, prescription service or turnkey basis are including in our scope of supply.
Materials for Lipstick
The main materials are including the oil, fat, powder and color agent. The oil and fat is the main item for the lipstick totaling around 90% or more. The auxiliary material will be included the anti oxidation agent, pearl powder, perfume, UV absorber, and moisturizing agent etc. Allow us to itemize discussion as follows:
1.Liquid and paste form
Variety of lipids were ever been applied for the ingredient to make lipstick, which you may find out from the applications in the past history. In other worlds, almost every lipid can be applied for the base ingredient of lipstick manufacturing, upon its characters and applicable of each individual material. Therefore, the manufacturer should have to fully understand each material of lipids, which is the basic for the manufacturing process. The most popular application of lipids is as follows.
Beeswax belongs to the natural material and is applied as basic material. However, the man-made beeswax is also applied widely together with PEG beeswax to improve the character of beeswax.
Since beeswax is including palmitic acid and 12 ~ 16% of separated wale’s wax, beeswax is very compliable with other lipids such as vegetable oil, animal fat, fat, fat acid and mineral oil etc. Consequently, beeswax is natural anti-bacterial, mod, and oxidation with very high stability.
Beeswax, which is provided with character of contraction, is good interface for mold releasing and is optimized for lipstick manufacturing. Applying a little of fat acid will assist the coloring agent consistency as its original color.
- Carnauba Wax:
Carnauba wax is the highest melt point from the vegetable wax, MP80~88, and the Carnauba wax belongs to the hard wax. The main purpose of Carnauba wax for lipstick manufacturing is upgrading the hardness of the lipstick, and will upgrade the brightness, shining, toughness and a little crystallization. The mixture of amorphous wax will upgrade the performance of lipstick characters.
- Candelilla Wax:
Candelilla Wax is forming under amorphous structure, without any crystal after melt.Candelilla will provide the character of certain stiffness and rigid the formed lipstick, and the character of greasing.
- Castor Oil:
It is the important solvent for color agent, and provides the character of high sticky to prevent the crack from the brittle of lipsticks. There is a hydrogen oxide bond on the molecule of castor oil to provide the character of moisture.
However, the character of high sticky will prevent from the workability during manufacturing, and hydrogen treatment will minimize the sticky for applications.
Lanoline will be acting as the mixture or coupling agent for the material compounding. The mixture of lanoline will keep the forming consistency of lipstick from the thermal or pressure shock during processing. Lanoline provides the character of moisture absorbing and prevent the sweating of lipstick.
Ozokerite belongs to the amorphous was with high melting point, MP 76 ~ 80 ℃. Main purpose of this ingredient is upgrading the melt point of lipstick, and will upgrade the hardness of lipstick if combine with Carnauba Wax.
- Branched chain compounds:
Branched chain compounds composite of high class of alcohol and acid, and will form the porous film when lipstick spread with lipstick. The materials are consisted of pur-cellin, isocetyl alcohol, neofatty acid and alcohol, cetiol, isosteryl alcohol and acid etc.
This is the best hardening agent, and can be mixed with microcrystalline wax, ceresin, and ozakerite for better performance.
- Fatty acid esters:
- Fatty acid esters are the good coupling agent to mix the materials together, and provide the special character for lipstick you made.
- Isopropyl provides the best chill point and the fair dissolving character to dark red color agents.
- Isopropyl lanolates provide the moisture character to lanoline.
- Decyloleater & Hexyl laurate provide the disperse interface for color agents.
- Isopropyl adipate & Diethl sebacate provide the solvent for color agent and disperse interface for other color agents.
- Di(Octyldodecyl) flouorcitrate liquid is high sticky tannery resin, which provides the disperse on color agent and enhance the shining and smoothness.
- Cetyle lactate is white soft solid phase, and applying in lip pencil, & lipstick for its oilless softener to improve appearance of milky lipstick.
- Castor Oil is one kind dilute agent to minimize the viscosity for above material.
- Stearic Acid (High lauric triglycerides):
Stearic Acid is distilled from coconut or palm oils, to replace the Cocoa Butter, because of it’s low melting point 38~45 ℃ and low Idem value ＜ 3.
- Higher Alcohol:
- Cetyl alcohol is solvent for color agent.
- Oleyl alcohol is shinny character for Glide-on type lipstick, which ever been fashion some time.
- Isostearyl alcohol is solvent for dark red color agent.
- Hexadecyl alcohol is provide the C & H bond, and applying for smoothness of lipstick when application first impression.
- Hydrogenated fats and oils:
These fats and oils are forming the layer for humidity in lipstick, but applying quantity is limited because of shinning and grain will be interfered.
- Mineral Oil:
The best shinning agent for lipstick, and will be water shinning if too much mineral oil.
The character of petrolatum is similar to mineral oil, but will be very sticky if too much applied within the lipstick.
- Polyethylene glycol:
The best solvent for color agent, and provides the color adhesive for lipstick, this is also the reason for drying lips after lipstick applied?
- Polyethylene glycol ester and ethers:
This kind of compound, Brij, Emulgene, Macrogol, Provol & Amerox are providing the best soluble character to color agent, but not to the fat. The specialty of this compound is coloring easily to the product.
- Synthetic Waxes:
In order to upgrade the melting point of lipstick, synthetic waxes are selected to apply for up or down of the melting point upon the weather condition.
- Microcrystallines and Ceresin are applying for up the higher melting point.
- Trilaurin & soft wax are applying for down the lower melting point, such as 25~29℃. This kind of product will enhance the spreading of lipstick when applying, but not oily feeling. It’s providing the softener to the skin.
- Vegetable Oils:
The only vegetable oil applied in lipstick manufacturing is castor oil. Cocoa fat is good in character, but its efflorescence is trouble for storage. Therefore, no processor applies the hydrogenated fat & oil till now, because of keep fresh is not easy.
- Membrane Forming Agent:
The process of lipstick manufacturing should not be fading of coloring. That is membrane can be applied in conjugated polymer as oil base material to improve the color fading problem.
- PVP / Hexadecene copolymer in 2 ~ 4% is the agent for forming the water proof membrane, which provides the character to stabilize the color dispersing, and softener of skin.
- PVP / Eicosene copolymer in 4~10% is same as above.
Color Agent in Powder form
White color agent in powder for form applying in lipstick is same as other cosmetics, and common selections are titanium dioxide, talc, mica powder, mica covered titanium dioxide, and series of Stearic acid etc.
However, the powder form in lipstick application should be keeping the finesse as possible in order to disperse the color agent evenly. Otherwise, the course grains on powder form will be bad feeling to lips with uncomfortable and sandy.
General Processing Information
Upon the captioned paragraphs, you will understand which the basic material for manufacturing lipstick is. Of course the prescription is depends on the environment, people character and beauty sense in order to optimization of the products.
Normally, the case lipstick or paste lipstick are easy to get the product as including the mixing and filling two important steps. However, the stick type lipstick should be strictly following the equipment, prescription, and melting point and manufacturing techniques. Otherwise, the qualified or acceptable lipstick is very hard to secure. The basic process to make lipstick is as following.
Description of Manufacturing Process
- Mixing several of color power agents to melt within the castor oil or other fat good for cosmetic formulation. The granule uniformity and particle distribution will be grinding by grinder to get optimization.
- Mixing oil base material from fat and wax together with heating melted and agitating are trying to secure the optimum uniformity to paste phase.
- Perfume will be mixed within the paste phase get from 1 & 2 under certain temperature and continuous agitating. The paste phase should be kept within the same phase and best uniformity.
- The prepared heat up paste will be filling within the copper mold or aluminum mold to formulate certain shape.
- Cooling down the hot paste together with mold is the way to cure lipstick from paste phase to solid phase.
- Release the lipstick from the mold set, and shaping any defect from the mold by lamp fire. Putting lipstick product within each container to finalize the product for sale.
Flow Chart of Manufacturing Process
↓ 70℃ ~ 90℃
↓ Tri-Roller / Wet Grinder
↓ Setting & Separation
↓ 0℃ ~ 5℃
↓ Manual / Automatic
Finish & Assembly
↓ Manual / Automatic
Description of Machinery
1. Mixing Machine:
2. Seizing Machine
3. Grinding Machine:
A. Tri-Roller Rolling Machine
B. Successive High speed Moleculized Instrument – wet model
4. Heating Mixing Machine for pearl ointment
5. Mold Sets
6. Filling Machine
A. Basic Type – conventional
B. Plate Type
C. Semi-Automatic Type
D. Fully Automatic Type
7. Mold Releasing Machine By Air Blowing Machine
8. Box Folding Machine
9. Cartoning Machine
10. Carton Tapping Machine
Manufacturing & Investment Note Manufacturing Notea. Air Bulb removing
There are many chances to crease air bulb within the paste during melting, mixing, and agitating.
b. The method of de-gas from the paste is set the paste without moving for certain time for enable the light weight air bulb floating up to the surface of paste form material.
Therefore, the bottom portion of the paste material will be applied as material to fill the lipstick molds. However, please care of the powder, color agent or particle sediment from the paste.
- Investment Capital:
- Since this equipment can be manual, semi automatic and fully automatic, the investment capital for machine / equipment can be from ten thousand U.S. Dollar to Millions U.S. Dollar upon the production capacity and situation of automation. Processing house can be convention house or clean room as biotechnology standard. Therefore, the investment can be flexible upon the customer requirement.
- The manpower can be arranged under family business with few person to handle equipment one by one, or mass production in hundreds of people for multiple products.
- However, the manpower will be estimated upon the scale of the production capability.
WELL HAND INDUSTRIAL CORPORATION
8F-6, No.415, Shin-Yi Rd. Sec. 4, Taipei, Taiwan 110
Tel: 886-2-2758270 Fax: 27588971